About the Organization:
New Moms strengthens families by partnering with young moms as they progress toward housing stability, economic mobility, and family well-being. New Moms is a nonprofit organization with a $8 million budget and a staff of nearly 60. At New Moms, young moms, 24 and under, take powerful first steps toward economic mobility and family well-being. Our 2-Generation approach puts families experiencing poverty in control of their goals and unleashes their potential. New Moms’ headquarters is located on the west side of Chicago in the Austin neighborhood. Our social enterprise, Bright Endeavors, which provides paid transitional jobs for young moms, is located nearby in the West Garfield Park neighborhood. We also have an office in Oak Park serving the near western suburbs.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Moms prioritizes racial equity as a strategic and organizational imperative. Strong candidates will be committed to integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) values into their work goals and will be evaluated on their impact.
About the Job:
The Contracts & Billing Manager is responsible for Medicaid billing (40%), managing assigned government contracts (40%), and other finance functions (20%). This position is a part of the Finance and Contracts team. The role is responsible for prompt and accurate claim submission and follow-up on billing denials received from all Insurance Payors. Denial follow-up consists of directly contacting Insurance Payors to understand what is needed to process and reimburse all outstanding claims. Ability to generate revenue through consistent clean claim and voucher submission and reduce accounts receivable days, all conducted in an efficient, timely manner. It assists the Finance team on some departmental functions. This position supports the agency’s vision, philosophy, and values in the comprehensive delivery of supports to young mothers and their children through the delivery of impeccable communication and reporting with Managed Care Providers and contractors. The Contracts & Medicaid Billing Manager will champion all New Moms values including our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, in both strategic planning and performance. The position is located at New Moms’ main office in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago. (Also see COVID-19 Modifications below). Starting Salary: $55,000
Key Job Responsibilities:
Medicaid Billing (40%)
- Submits Medicaid billing and follows up on unpaid claims. Manages interface between case management, practice management, and clearinghouse software. Ensures complete files and reports on all claims.
- Reviewing Payer Balances in Electronic Health Record and Document follow-up progress.
- Troubleshooting and Researching claims and re-billing if necessary, including appealing denials or incorrectly paid claims.
- Monitoring and Reporting on Payer’s status on a regular basis.
- Generate Management Reports on what is outstanding for each payor and the denial reasons. Capture and report trends.
- Collaborate with other staff to address identified billing needs.
- Ensure all billing/claims issues are resolved prior to timely filing limits. Collaborate with Billing Supervisors and Organizational Leadership to address all problematic claims.
Government Contracts (40%)
- Works with Finance and Contracts team to complete and submit monthly and quarterly billing vouchers on assigned contracts. Maintains all back-up documentation on submitted vouchers.
- Works with program staff to submit all monthly, quarterly, and annual programmatic reports to assigned funders.
- Updates Contract Tracking documents and accounting staff with vouchered amounts and payments.
- Completes monthly, quarterly, and annual fiscal reports and vouchers on all assigned contracts/grants, including annual budgets, budget to actual reports, and budget revisions.
- Prepares for and is the main point of contact for all fiscal audits on assigned contracts/grants.
- Works with Development and Finance teams to complete and execute annual contract renewals including contract rollover, open bids, and work plans on all assigned contracts/grants.
- Assists Finance Department with other accounting and recordkeeping functions, including monthly financial statements, payroll reports, credit/debit card expenses, and maintaining vendor files.
- Collaborating with internal departments to reconcile any accounting discrepancies.
- Keeping records and documenting financial processes.
- Participates in professional seminars or conferences to enhance professional development and job skills.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in Accounting, Healthcare Administration preferred
- More than three (3) years of billing and claims submission, collections, and authorization experience
- Experience and/or certification in Medicaid billing and billing software preferred
- Ability to utilize medical billing software and financial ledgers
- Experience working with government contracts in a non-profit environment a plus
- High attention to detail and results-oriented approach to work
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers and Microsoft software applications, specifically Excel
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely, read, understand, and follow oral and written instruction (in person, in writing, or on the phone) with insurance companies, providers and other staff
- Must enjoy working with a cross-sector team within the organization
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple responsibilities, projects, and deadlines concurrently
- Sound professional judgment and analytical ability, as well as the desire to work in a socially- and psychologically pressured environment
- Access to a car and/or ability to use public transportation. If using car for transportation, must have valid driver’s license, with safe driving record and valid insurance
- New Moms employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption through the Director of HR.
- Work hours take place on site at our Chicago location. However, candidates must have ability to work remotely as needed. A laptop will be provided by New Moms.
- Must complete health screen prior to reporting to office and adhere to all New Moms COVID-19 safety procedures.
New Moms’ Benefits: We offer a comprehensive benefits package to full-time employees including health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; matching on retirement savings up to 3%; 14 paid holidays; and generous paid time off. We also offer several unique benefits to New Moms: discounts on Bright Endeavors products, free optional spiritual direction services, and half days on Fridays in the summer. Our Flexible Work Options policy allows for staff to work some hours remotely once training is complete.